Friday, November 12, 2010

Friday Loathe... Can't Handle a Manhattan


There's nothing that screams sophistication more than sipping on a classic cocktail and for me the pinnacle of cool cocktails has always been The Manhattan. Unfortunately, as much as I dread admitting it- I can't handle the potency of even one (and believe me, I've tried!). The Manhattan even boasts a truly impressive albeit likely fictional back story. Legend has it that The Manhattan got it's name after being ordered by Winston Churchill's mother, Lady Randolph Churchill (Jennie Jerome) at the Manhattan Club while she was entertaining guest of honor Samuel J. Tilden. While many claim this is myth- I believe it, and subsequently believe that Winston's mother Jennie sure could hold her liquor! So long story short, there's nothing I loathe more than missing a great party and my unfortunate relationship with Manhattan's presents a similarly loathe-worthy experience!

If you think you're up to it, here is how to prepare a fabulous Manhattan:

3/4 oz. Sweet Vermouth
2 1/2 oz. Bourbon Whiskey
1 dash Bitters
1 Maraschino Cherry

Combine the vermouth, bourbon and bitters with 2-3 ice cubes in a mixing glass.
Stir gently. Place the cherry in a chilled cocktail glass and strain the whiskey
mixture into glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment