Sunday, June 12, 2011

Like... Needlepoint Pillows in Tasteful Spaces

Sorry, but who doesn't want to cuddle up with a Fench bulldog...

Like a lot of people, I grew up surrounded by needlepoint--and no it wasn't of the "Bless this Mess" heart-shaped pillow variety. Thank god. My mother needlepointed gorgeous pillows for our house and those of relatives and pillow-worthy friends. My sister followed in suit, even needlepointing the item every cool 16 year old at my high school HAD to have, a monogrammed key chain. And while I never jumped on the needlepointing track, I've always appreciated the luxurious quality they add to rooms, immediately adding depth and warmth to even the most modern of spaces. In recent years the wit-wizard Jonathan Adler has made needlepoint truly cool with his irreverent needlepointed numbers that read playfully "pills", "drugs" and of course "hugs".

Here are some fantastic examples of needlepoint done right--but please be careful. The line between contemporary and kitsch is very thin when it comes to these thread-full accessories!

Rob Lowe's stylish master bedroom, note the pillows...

LOVE the floral needlpoint--and this whole space...

Kelly Wearstler taking a more masculine approach...

More from Kelly W., this time with retro-chic pink...

Really love the bright on bright- totally whimsical...

Kelly Wearstler's "Spectrum" pillow...

Not totally in love with the Asian-meets-Botanical look, but a look non-the-less...

Graphic needlepoint is conetmporary without being cold...

The pillows warm up with the space perfectly...

Jonathan Adler, needlepoint King...

So feminine, and the needlepoint adds some depth...

I'd never stop eating if I had that charming banquette with a mixed bag of needlepointed gems...

I spy an Adler space...

Every aspect of this room is itneresting--it seems so ecclectic and the pillows add to that oganic vibe...


Don't do them kids. Decorate with them!

How adorable is Jonathan Adler- I love these!

Every gay man I know wants this pillow... at their vacation home in Acapulco.

More destination and statement pillows...

No comments:

Post a Comment